How Is It Applied?
Modern techniques give us an opportunity to complete all the steps necessary in a single visit in the following sequence:
- Initial Consultation — the initial consultation is a two-way process. One of our experienced dentists will examine you to determine whether this is the perfect option for you and whether the adult or teen version is best. You will have an opportunity to ask questions which may interest you during this evaluation. You may inquire about the price, how long it will take, and whether you can preview a simulation of what your smile will look like when it’s completed. However even before you begin the consultation it may be worth understanding the total costs of the consultation.
- Evaluating Your Records — the exact process begins by taking data of your teeth. The following data is collected by the dentist during the consultation:
- Impression And Digitization — we collect precise impressions of your teeth as they are. This is usually accomplished by using the impression putty and thereafter digitizing the hardened putty into a computer loaded with specialized software. If facilities are in hand it would be a better approach to read of the 3-D optical data directly from your mouth into a computer.
- Bite Registration — a record of your bite is also taken to understand how each tooth in the lower and upper jaws mate with each other.
- Dental X-Rays — x-rays allow oral surgeons to assess the jawbone as well as the tooth roots as well as the health of the jawbone and current root positioning. We may also obtain a panoramic x-ray or a full mouth series or a combination of both.
- Photographs — These requires several pictures of the patient including front and side photos, front and side close-ups of closed teeth and a close up of pictures of the upper and lower dental arches. All the data collected along with recommendations from the dentist will be forwarded to the Invisalign company.
- Simulation — staff there will develop a simulation to show on-screen what they will look like during various stages of the realignment as they gradually begin to shift. The simulation will be sent to our offices for advice about any amendments or alternatively a final confirmation from your dentist. You may also be able to view this simulation to understand the final position of your smile through computer imaging by arranging the same with your dentist. This becomes part of your treatment plan.
- Manufacture and Delivery — after your dentist authorizes the plan your aligners will be manufactured by using computer-aided manufacturing [CAM]. The end product will be delivered to you through your dentist.
How Long Should Invisalign Be Worn?
The duration of your treatment will depend on the severity of your situation. Generally, this lasts for approximately a year. Every aligner needs to be worn for about two weeks for as many hours as possible during the day and the nights. However, they may be removed when having food, brushing, and cleaning.
The system of alignment with this method was invented by an IT engineer who was dissatisfied with the numerous visits he had to make to the dentist. There are several benefits:
- Invisibility — as they are manufactured from clear pharmaceutical grade plastic these are generally invisible to the naked eye. This is one of the two major advantages and other systems which are also similar such as invisible or clear braces. Lingual braces are perhaps the only superior device but they also have a higher price tag.
- They Are Removable — another benefit gives you an opportunity to remove and reinstall them without help. This is usually a requirement when you are eating or cleaning. Moreover, you can wear the following aligner yourself. This will reduce the inconvenience of numerous dental visits saving you plenty of time.
- Cleaning — as they can be removed easily cleaning your mouth will not be difficult. Therefore they will not interfere with your regular oral health measures such as brushing and flossing.
- Ease of Personal Hygiene — brushing and flossing will not be difficult because the aligners can be removed easily. You can brush and floss by removing the them and then reinstall them yourself.
- Inexpensive Compared to Lingual Braces — They utilize leading-edge technology during the stages of planning and the manufacture. The costs are certainly higher than the standard type but they are still cheaper compared to lingual.
- Comfort — You can remove and wear them according to your needs. They will not cause you any pain or discomfort which is another benefit.
- Safety — Traditional metallic orthodontia are usually made from wires which could have sharp edges. Invisalign is made from plastic and therefore has no such possibilities.
- Reduced Damage To Teeth And Gums — metal braces may promote demineralization along with gum disease because of the difficulty in cleaning them. Clear aligners pose no such problems.
- Duration — This requires about 12 to 18 months for the treatment to be completed. This is generally less time than the time taken by traditional means.
- You Will Be Aware of Your Expectations — you have an opportunity to preview the outcome of the results on a screen simulation.
What Is Invisalign Teen?
Adults were originally the only ones who could benefit from this. This was a result of the concept of the original design. Every aligner is a plastic shell which fits snugly on each tooth in a single jaw. The aligners left no space for teeth to emerge. This prevented the use of it for youngsters who still had teeth emerging. Its popularity along with the numerous benefits it offered over traditional braces especially when aesthetics were considered made the manufacturers decide that younger persons could also enjoy the benefits. With the teen version, the tabs are left in places where a tooth is expected to erupt and grow. Therefore the advantages were retained without compromising on the eruption of new teeth. Orthodontic treatment with this for very young patients is still not indicated at this time.
How To Care For Invisalign Aligners?
This orthodontic system can give you a beautiful smile provided you care for them appropriately when being worn. Not providing proper care can make them a sanctuary for bacteria which may result in cavities and gum disease. However, you do not have to be concerned about the care because it is simple. You just need to keep your mouth clean along with the product itself This process has been simplified because you can easily remove them and put them back on whenever you are cleaning your mouth. Below is a list of do’s and don’ts:
- Effectively Cleaning — remove the aligners regularly to gently brush them. Bacteria can result from plaque and dry saliva. You can soak them in customized solutions designed for sanitizing them before rinsing them clean. You can also wash them with lukewarm water. You are recommended not to clean them in boiling water because they can distort and will no longer fit into your mouth.
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance — brush and floss every time you want to reinsert them. This will prevent trapping stuff which can cause decay and gum disease.
- Travel precautions — when you need to travel you should carry your earlier and the next set with you. You can use either one of the alternatives if you lose or damage your current aligner.
- Foods To Avoid — do not eat or drink anything apart from water when you are wearing them. Some foods can potentially stain them.
- Avoid Using Toothpaste On The Plastic — when cleaning the aligners avoid using any toothpaste. They can become scratched with the use of toothpaste because many of them contain abrasives. Some even have whitening chemicals which can stain the aligners. Never leave them exposed when eating but rather soak them in solutions that are appropriate.
- Never Drop Them — They are relatively fragile and can fracture easily if they are accidentally dropped. Therefore you are required to ensure they are always stored in places from where they will not fall when you are not wearing them. You will not be required to use mouth guards because the aligners can be removed when getting involved in sporting activities.
The cost can vary from one case to another. A prime factor is the extent of misalignment which needs to be corrected. Where you are located is also another factor which can affect the cost. Certain parts within the US are inherently more expensive in terms of fees and services. Within a single locality, some dentists may charge more than the others depending upon their expertise and reputation.
Generally, the cost of treatment is between $3500-$8000. We will provide you with a closer estimate of the cost during the consultation. Part of the expenses may be covered by your insurance provider. Some insurance plans are covering this just like any other orthodontic treatment. It is therefore beneficial to explore various insurance options.
Where can I get Invisalign in Frisco, TX?
Make an appointment today at our dental office in Frisco, TX for expert orthodontic care and cosmetic dentistry for you and your family. Our dentists are experts with Invisalign and can give you the gift of a great smile. We are in the DFW metro close to The Colony and Prosper, Texas.