Published on October 1, 2021, Updated on February 7, 2023
Invisalign accessories (SmartForce®) are small buttons attached to your teeth and are tooth-colored. They are attached to teeth with a durable resin composite material. SmartForce® attachments are used if the patient cannot obtain the results with the Invisalign alignment devices alone.
How do Invisalign Attachments help treat severe cases of malocclusion?
Invisalign has been utilized over the years to treat minor to moderate malocclusion, however, unlike traditional braces, this type of orthodontic treatment still cannot address extreme situations. However, Invisalign is now able to handle more serious instances with the help of attachments. Orthodontists place these tips on the teeth, which require further changes and they are generally placed in the middle of the tooth. It’s in various shapes. It can be a circle, square, or triangle. It can be an arc. The form and direction of the attachments rely on the aim of the tooth rotation, intrusion, and extrusion for a more accurate movement of the tooth.
The fixtures are mainly employed when the tooth has to rotate with severely crowded teeth or crowds. The aim of attachments is to offer a point of anchor that helps to more effectively and accurately direct the forces of the aligners to the tooth.
Read Steps to Clean Your Invisalign Trays
Bonding of Buttons on Invisalign
It is an easy operation to place attachments. Orthodontics only connects these bumps with many other dental methods. by utilizing bonding techniques. To install it, there is no need for drills or shots. Attachments shall be placed by a template. This is how it is accomplished:
- A clear plastic template from Invisalign is received by orthodontists. It appears like an aligner, but it features little bulges that match the position of the teeth to where the fixings have to be positioned.
- The surface of the tooth will be cleaned and prepared so that the attachments bind properly.
- The bulge is filled with a composite of teeth that corresponds to the tooth color. The form of the bulge creates the form of the attachment.
- The template then is scored against your teeth and the bonding substance is cured using dental healing light from your orthodontist.
- When it has hardened, the plaster is removed and any surplus material is shaved. The little bump is what is left in your teeth and what constitutes the connection.
Will I have problems using Invisalign Attachments if I have dental restorations?
Your orthodontist should continue to be able to bind the appliances to your tooth if you do have any dental repair such as fillings, veneers, or crowns. While some types of rehabilitation can be difficult.
- Composite restoration – this should not be a problem, as this is the same type of material for creating attachments.
- Metal or porcelain – it can be able to add attachments to such restorations while the attachment may not be as strong as when applied with a tooth or a material composite. It can be difficult to place during the treatment, depending on the level of forces involved.
Visit us for a free consultation for Invisalign in Frisco location area.