These are manufactured from crystalline ceramic. Their vertebrae are the archwire which runs along the teeth and jaw. This is a sturdy steel wire which exercises stress in the preferred direction through brackets on individual teeth. The brackets are held in place with orthodontic bands or directly being bonded to them. Spacers are helpful to create space for the orthodontic bands. Patients that are unhappy with the metallic appearance of the stainless steel wire can opt for frosted colored wires which are also available. Invisalign is available to teens as Invisalign teen and even for adults.
Invisalign — we offer Invisalign for patients who are looking for a way to straighten their teeth invisibly. These are sets of detachable clear plastic aligners for both the upper jaw as well as the lower jaw. They are customized to accept pressure when they are worn. A fresh set is provided to the patient after every two weeks until the desired straightening is achieved. The final set of aligners can serve as a retainer for a few months preventing them from shifting from that position.
Ceramic Invisible Braces — patients can opt for clear braces which are also available. These consist of tooth-colored brackets, tooth colored bands and also an archwire. The bracket may be available with colors to match natural teeth. Colored bands are also available for adolescents and teenage patients. The metallic archwire is painted with a tooth-colored material for pleasing aesthetics.
- Advantages — Appealing Aesthetics
- Disadvantages — They can be expensive when compared to the traditional ones. They can also be susceptible to staining if oral hygiene is not maintained properly.
Lingual Braces — these can be attached to the inner or lingual surfaces. The design is similar to clear ones but they contain slots through which the archwire can pass. The archwire must be regularly adjusted to ensure proper alignment.
- Advantages — they are invisible to the naked eye.
- Disadvantages — they can be difficult to clean because of their lingual position. The brackets and the archwire have the potential to interfere with the moment of the tongue and may hamper speech and mastication. As the adjustments take longer to become effective they can potentially cause injuries to your tongue and other soft tissue.
Initially, these were not provided to children of growing age along with pediatric patients. The cases would conflict with the emerging new teeth in the permanent dentition such as a wisdom tooth. However, as the demand for Invisalign for Teens kept growing significantly a newer design with breakable tabs where they are expected to emerge..
- Advantages — observers will be unable to see them. As they are removable they will not affect the eating habits of the individual as well as the maintenance of their oral hygiene.
- Disadvantages — They are not as effective as the traditional kind because they cannot be used for complex orthodontic issues such as crossbites, deep bites or overbites. They are expensive and perhaps cost the highest among all options of orthodontic treatments and this factor can also be considered as a disadvantage.
In the field of dentistry and for the treatment of orthodontic problems metal braces were perhaps the first to be introduced. They are manufactured from high-quality stainless steel alloys and are attached to them with special adhesive cement. They have specified slots which allow the archwires to pass. The archwire is in turn connected to the brackets with help being received from the rubber elastics or ties.
- Advantages — they can provide excellent control for the orthodontist. They are also useful for treating severe orthodontic cases which in most cases is not possible with alternative orthodontic options.
- Disadvantages — perhaps the most obvious drawback of them is the unaesthetic appearance they have along with the higher risks of soft tissue injury in the event of any collisions or trauma.